For more information contact:
International Travel Registry
The International Travel Registry is an online registration system that provides WSU with a secure means of documenting international travel plans for undergraduate and graduate students participating in not-for-credit travel for WSU-related activities.
International travel is defined as travel to any non-U.S. location outside of the 50 states (including Hawaii, Alaska, and District of Columbia) and the U.S territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, and Swains Island).
See WAC 504-26-010(12) for the University’s definition of the term “student.”
Not-for-Credit International Travel
This policy pertains to all students traveling as individuals or in groups, with or without University funding, for any WSU-sponsored, WSU-administered, or WSU-related not- for-credit activity or program.
- Register Travel Through International Travel Registry
Students must document travel plans through the International Travel Registry when participating in activities and programs including, but not limited to:
- Civic engagement
- Other educational, co-curricular, or business opportunities
- Register Travel Through International Programs (IP)
Students participating in not-for-credit international internships or service learning activities requiring WSU authorization must submit international travel applications and document travel plans. Refer to the application and documentation procedures for study abroad, which are available from the Office of International Programs (IP).
For-Credit International Travel
- Register Travel Through IP
Students participating in for-credit international travel refer to the application and documentation procedures for study abroad, which are available through IP.
- Register Travel Through Risk Management
Graduate students on paid assistantship or time-slip appointments who travel abroad are exempt from enrolling in the International Travel Registry. Such students are WSU employees and document their travel through Risk Management Services. WSU employees and official volunteers who travel abroad are provided services through WSU’s international travel assistance provider. See BPPM 95.57.
International travel assistance services include emergency medical and security evacuation and repatriation of remains. For further information, refer to the Foreign Travel section of the Risk Management Services website at:
- Register Travel Through International Travel Registry
Graduate students not on paid assistantship or time-slip appointments and who are enrolled in graduate level pass/non-pass credits must enroll in the International Travel Registry if participating in international travel for a WSU-related activity or program. Pass/non-pass credits include 700, 702, or 800 independent research and advanced study credits for thesis, dissertation, direct study, and/or examination credits.
NOTE: Graded credits earned for international travel are considered part of the study abroad program. (See the procedures to Register Travel Through IP above.)
IP maintains the online International Travel Registry and oversees the accompanying registration process.
The goals of the International Travel Registry are as follows:
- Document all international travel by WSU students for not-for-credit WSU educational and/or business activities approved by department chairs, deans, and other unit authorities.
- Ensure the capability for timely communication between WSU and relevant parties in the event of an emergency or other unforeseen event.
- Assist travelers with the following preparations for a safe experience:
- Registering with the U.S. Department of State (for U.S. citizens and permanent residents).
- Obtaining information about the Department of State’s Travel Warning and Travel Alert system.
- Purchasing health and travel insurance to ensure emergency medical and security evacuation and repatriation of remains services.
Registration With International Travel Registry
All WSU students for whom this policy applies are required to register prior to departure in accordance with the procedures outlined below. See Applicability above.
WSU colleges, departments, faculty, and staff affiliated with such activities are responsible for ensuring that students document their travel plans through the online International Travel Registry.
To complete the International Travel Registry process:
Log Into Registry
Log onto the online International Travel Registry through the IP website at:
Enter Required Information
The student traveler must provide all of the following information in the online registry:
- Travelers’ identification as it appears in their passport:
- Issuing country
- Passport number
- Expiration date
- Dates of travel
- Itinerary including location(s) and housing details, where known.
- Traveler’s contact information while abroad
- Emergency contact information
- WSU mentor or sponsor’s contact information including:
- Department and/or program
- Email address
- Telephone (office and mobile)
- Additional information as requested by IP, e.g., travel to high risk areas as designated by the U.S. Department of State.
Complete the questionnaires and provide electronic authorization for the participation agreement, liability forms, and other documents, as required.
Review Orientation Materials
Review all predeparture orientation materials.
Contact IP With Questions
Contact the Office of International Programs (IP) with any questions.
International Programs Services
IP provides the following services to students who are registered for international travel:
- Enroll U.S. citizens and permanent residents in the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Alert travelers to any unusual or significant circumstances related to the proposed destinations.
- Notify travelers to submit a Petition for Participation in a High Risk Area, if required.
- Enroll students in WSU International Health and Travel Insurance, which includes emergency medical and security evacuation and repatriation of remains services.
All students registered for international travel are required to purchase WSU International Health and Travel Insurance. Cost for the insurance is charged to the students’ accounts, which are accessed through the myWSU portal at: