Business Policies and Procedures Manual
Chapter 20: Property
Contaminated Surplus Property
(Appendix 1: Equipment Requiring Item Evaluation)
For more information contact:
Form: Item Evaluation
The items listed below are examples of equipment and materials requiring completion of the Item Evaluation form. The list is not exhaustive.
- Any equipment or material that has hazards which need to be mitigated Autoclaves
- Benchtops Biological safety cabinet
- Centrifuges Cryostats
- Dead tanks Ductwork
- Environmental chambers
- Flammable cabinets Freezers Fume hoods and fans Furniture
- Glassware and plasticware Glove boxes
- Lasers Lead-based paint
- Microfuges Microwave ovens
- Parts from gas and plumbing fixtures
- *Radioactive sources(including but not limited to liquid scintillation counters Gamma counters Gas chromatographs with Ni-63 electron capture detectors)
- *Radiation machines (including but not limited to cabinet X-ray units Veterinary X-ray machines X-ray: crystallography; diffraction; and fluorescence units)
- Shakers Sinks Storage cabinets and lockers used to store chemical products or hazardous waste
- Vacuum pumps
* Any item to be surplused which is marked with a label containing a “Caution: Radioactive Material” or similar message must be evaluated by the Radiation Safety Office prior to surplussing.
Revisions: See BPPM 20.77 revision history.