For more information contact:
Human Resource Services
A holiday is a day when all University offices and departments on a WSU campus are closed except for certain essential service units.
The University provides ten holidays each fiscal year for classified staff, annual faculty, and annual administrative and professional employees.
State law designates the following as legal holidays. (RCW 1.16.050)
|New Year's Day||January 1|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Veterans' Day||November 11|
|Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday||Third Monday in January|
|Presidents' Day||Third Monday in February|
|Labor Day||First Monday in September|
|Memorial Day||Last Monday in May|
|Thanksgiving||Fourth Thursday in November|
|Native American Heritage Day||Fourth Friday in November|
Sometimes a holiday is not observed on the statutory date.
- Any holiday that falls on a Sunday is observed the following Monday.
- Any holiday that falls on a Saturday is observed the preceding Friday.
- WSU may designate an alternate date for a given holiday. Such days are called “in-lieu” days.
See the Human Resource Services (HRS) Leave Policies and Programs website for the current WSU holiday schedule for specified University locations.
The WSU holiday schedule is effective for the following campuses and units:
- WSU Pullman
- WSU Spokane
- WSU Tri Cities
- WSU Vancouver
- WSU Everett
- WSU Seattle
- WSU Global Campus
- WSU Mt. Vernon Research and Extension Station
- WSU Prosser Irrigated Agriculture Research and Extension Center
- WSU Puyallup Research and Extension Center
- WSU Vancouver Research and Extension Station
- WSU Wenatchee Tree Fruit Research and Extension Center
- USDA Yakima Agricultural Research Laboratory
A break in the academic calendar, when classes are not taught is not considered a holiday unless the break coincides with a University holiday designated by HRS.
WSU expects employees with ongoing responsibilities to perform those duties during academic breaks. This includes Resident Instructional Staff.
December Holiday Reduced Operations
Washington State University closes all nonessential business operations and associated buildings at all of the locations listed above during the period between the Christmas holidays and New Year’s Day, which is generally the last week of December (December Holiday Reduced Operations). The University is open for essential operations only, during regular business hours, in accordance with RCW 42.04.060.
View the December Holiday Reduced Operations schedule, see the HRS website.