Business Policies and Procedures Manual
Chapter 60: Personnel

Benefit Transfer for Previous State of Washington Employment

BPPM 60.19

For more information contact:
   Human Resource Services


Employment Record Request


A new WSU employee may transfer certain benefits in accordance with RCW 28A.310.240(f) if their former employer was:

  • A state of Washington agency
  • A state of Washington higher education institution
  • A state of Washington educational service district
  • A state of Washington school district
  • The office of the Washington superintendent of public instruction

The employment with the state must be continuous to allow the employee to transfer these benefits. An intervening customary summer break in employment or a similar break in the performance of employment duties is not considered a break in service for benefit transfer purposes.


Employment by a state of Washington educational service district and a state of Washington school district is not considered to be state service. Employees may transfer accumulated leave from the educational service district or school district. However, such employees do not receive credit for state service. Temporary employment, adjunct appointments, and graduate student assistantships are not considered previous state of Washington employment for purposes of this policy.


This policy and procedure applies to faculty, administrative professional employees, and civil service employees who are not covered by collective bargaining agreements. Collective bargaining unit employees must refer to the appropriate agreement for benefit transfer information.


Human Resource Services (HRS) sends an Employment Record Request form to the previous employer requesting:

  • Employment information
  • Benefit information
  • Originals of all insurance applications

The previous employer reports employment and benefit information and forwards all original insurance applications to HRS.

Upon receiving the response from the previous employer, HRS advises the employing department of the employee’s adjusted leave balances.

HRS adjusts the employee’s leave balances in Workday.

Benefits That Transfer

No Break in Service

If there is no break in service between the time the employee leaves the previous state of Washington employer and begins work at WSU, the following benefits are transferred.


The new WSU employee’s seniority includes seniority from previous state employment.

Annual Leave and Sick Leave

The new employee’s annual leave and sick leave balances transfer to WSU if the employee’s position at WSU is otherwise eligible for leave.

Personal Holiday

The new employee’s unused personal holiday transfers to WSU. See RCW 1.16.050 regarding use of personal holiday.


Former faculty and administrative professional personnel who are reemployed within three years of separation from state of Washington employment receive credit for accrued sick leave if the new position is eligible for sick leave. Former state of Washington civil service employees who are reemployed within five years of separation receive credit for nonreimbursed accrued sick leave, if the new position is eligible for sick leave. See WAC 357-31-160.

Insurance and Retirement Benefits

Break in Service

If an employee works at least eight hours with their prior state employer in one month, and at least eight hours with WSU in the next consecutive month, there is no break in their insurance coverage.

New retirement elections are offered to all transfer employees.

Contact HRS for more information regarding transfer of insurance and retirement benefits; telephone 509-335-4521.

Medical and Dental Insurance

The employee’s medical and dental group insurance carriers remain the same unless the employee’s managed care plan is not available in the new county of residence. Transfer employees also have the option of choosing a plan that was not available in the previous county of residence.

Life Insurance

Group term life insurance continues on the same basis. Transfer employees are not treated as new employees.

Long-Term Disability Insurance

Long-term disability coverage continues on the same basis, i.e., the optional coverage and waiting period continues.


Generally a new retirement election is offered, and the type of employment at WSU determines the employee’s retirement plan and whether the employee contributes to the Public Employee’s Retirement System (PERS) or to the WSU Retirement Plan. Contact HRS for specific information; telephone 509-335-4521.

Revisions:  Dec. 2020 (Rev. 559); Aug. 2009 (Rev. 346); Aug. 2008 (Rev. 326); Feb. 2007 (Rev. 293); Aug. 2005 (Rev. 263); Sept. 2000 (Rev. 170); May 1997 (Rev. 103); Mar. 1989 – new policy (Rev. 75).