Business Policies and Procedures Manual
Chapter 10: Organization
Internal Rule-Making Procedures
For more information contact:
Policies, Records, and Forms
Title 504 of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) is the WAC chapter that contains the rules applying specifically to WSU. The University Rules Coordinator, located in the Office of Policies, Records, and Forms, administers additions, amendments, and deletions to these rules.
Additions or Changes
Review Existing WAC Title 504 Rules
The state Code Reviser publishes the Washington Administrative Code, including WAC Title 504. A University department considering adding or repealing sections of WAC Title 504 or changing an existing section should review the current rules on the proposed subject in WAC Title 504.
The department seeking to add, repeal, or change sections of WAC Title 504 contacts the Rules Coordinator by telephone or e-mail and describes the planned change. The Rules Coordinator provides an estimated timeline for completion of the rule change. Generally, the department should assume that a WAC revision will take at least seven months to process. A typical timeline includes the following steps:
- The Rules Coordinator submits of the preproposal to the Code Reviser.
- The Code Reviser publishes the preproposal in the Washington State Register.
- The responsible department submits the proposed WAC language to the Rules Coordinator.
- The Rules Coordinator reviews and edits the proposed language.
- The Attorney General’s Office reviews the proposal.
- Responsible administrators review and approve the proposal.
- The proposal receives institutional approval from a senior executive.
- The Rules Coordinator submits the approved proposal to the Code Reviser. (This must be submitted at least 30 days after publication of the preproposal.)
- The Code Reviser publishes the proposal in the Washington State Register.
- The responsible administrator presents the proposal as a future action item at a Board of Regents meeting.
- The Rules Coordinator holds a hearing and solicits public comment regarding the proposal. (This occurs at least 20 days after publication of the proposal.) Any comments are forwarded to the President’s Office for consideration by the Board of Regents.
- The Board of Regents considers the proposal for adoption.
- If the proposal is adopted, the Rules Coordinator submits a Rulemaking Order and the proposal becomes effective at least 31 days after submittal.
Submittal of WAC Draft
The responsible department is to submit the WAC language to the Rules Coordinator at least six weeks prior to the submittal of the proposal to the Code Reviser in order to allow time for editing and institutional review and approval.
Additional Group Review
If additional University groups are to review the proposal prior to institutional review and approval, the responsible department may coordinate the review prior to submitting the proposal to the Rules Coordinator.
Petition for WAC Change
- Text or description of the proposed rule or change;
- Name, title, and number of the existing rule, if applicable; and
- If requesting repeal of a rule, a description of the effects of repeal.
Submit the petition to the Rules Coordinator. See Request Timeline above.
In order to keep WAC Title 504 current, the Office of Policies, Records, and Forms manages a periodic review process.
First Review Request
When a rule has not been revised within five years of adoption, Policies, Records, and Forms sends an Existing Section Review Request and a copy of the rule to the responsible administrators.
The administrators determine whether or not the rule requires updating or repeal if no longer needed. If the rule requires updating or repeal, administrators indicate the items to be changed or repealed on the review request form or attached copy. Each administrator returns the signed review request and section to Policies, Records, and Forms by the “Respond By” date. The Rules Coordinator then initiates the process for making the requested changes.
Second Review Request
If Policies, Records, and Forms receives no reply within one month from the first respond date, the office sends copies of an Existing Section Review Request and the rule to the responsible administrators and the unit’s executive administrator.
Revisions: April 2014 (Rev. 430); Dec. 2000 – new policy (Rev. 175).