Business Policies and Procedures Manual
Chapter 70: Purchasing
For more information contact:
University departments placing advertisements with newspapers, magazines, radio or television stations, advertising publications, or other media are responsible for following procedures in this section.
An advertisement is a paid announcement intended to inform the public or attract public attention to a product, event, service, or job opening.
Use a procurement card or Purchase Order in Workday to purchase advertisements. See BPPM 70.08 and the Workday Create and Change Purchase Order reference guide for instructions.
If the anticipated cost of the advertising exceeds the procurement card or Purchase Order limit, complete a Requisition in Workday. (See BPPM 70.10 and the Workday Create Requisition reference guide.)
Include With Order
Include the following on the supplier’s order form (if using a procurement card) or on the purchasing documentation (if using a Purchase Order or Requisition in Workday):
- Dates advertisement is to run
- Estimated price (Contact the supplier for an estimate.)
- Supplier’s deadline for copy submittal
- In the supplier’s address, include an attention line indicating “WSU Account Representative” and the applicable supplier department, e.g., Classified Advertising, Display Advertising.
Attach a copy of the advertisement to the Requisition in Workday.
WSU has current advertising contracts with several newspapers. To view a list of current contracts, go to Purchasing Services:
Select Special Types of Purchases, then
Select Advertising, then
Select Contracted Vendors
Faculty, Administrative Professional
Human Resource Services (HRS) recommends that departments submit advertisements for faculty and administrative professional positions to HRS in advance.
Each position advertisement must include one of the following statements:
- “Washington State University is an EEO/AA educator and employer.”
- “Washington State University is an equal opportunity affirmative action educator and employers. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veterans, persons of disability, and/or persons age 40 or over are encouraged to apply.”
Additional Recommended Statements
HRS also recommends additional diversity statements for some positions. Refer to the HRS Recruitment Outreach Tools.
The department is responsible for viewing the advertisements to ensure that requested advertisements are placed correctly and accurately communicated.