Business Policies and Procedures Manual
Chapter 20: Property

Renting University Facilities, Equipment or Services

BPPM 20.40

For more information contact:
   Real Estate and Business Operations


Real Estate and Business Operations (REBO) enters into agreements on behalf of WSU to provide services or to rent University facilities or equipment to non-University entities. University departments seeking to provide services or to rent University facilities or equipment to non-University entities should contact REBO.


Internal service providers may extend their services, equipment, or facilities to the general public without contacting REBO if the following conditions exist:

  • The Controller has approved the internal service provider to extend their services, equipment, or facilities to the general public; and
  • The Controller has approved the rates the internal service provider charges; and
  • The internal service provider operator uses the guidelines in BPPM 30.15 to determine if the non-University customer may purchase from the internal service provider.

See BPPM 30.15 for more information about internal service providers.

Rental Request

In most cases, the customer contacts the University department responsible for the services, equipment, or space. A department receiving a request discusses the request with the applicable administrative leadership of the department. If the applicable administrative leadership of the department determines that the proposed rental or service is appropriate, the department proceeds as follows.

Established Internal Service Providers With Contract Delegates

For established internal service providers who have contract delegates authorized by the University to sign contracts in accordance with BPPM 10.10, the department must comply with BPPM 30.15. The contract delegate processes the rental or service agreement in accordance with BPPM 10.11.

All Other Departments

Equipment or Services

For all other departments, the following procedures apply to requests for rental of equipment or services.

The department submits to REBO a request for a contract, following the process outlined in BPPM 10.11. The request must contain a memorandum which specifies the following:

  • Name and address of the non-University user.
  • Name of the sponsoring department, if appropriate.
  • Name and telephone number of a University contact employee, if appropriate.
  • Name, address, and telephone number of a contact individual for the non-University entity.
  • Duration of anticipated use.
  • List of the equipment or services requested.
  • For equipment, include descriptions and WSU inventory numbers.

    Note: Some equipment obtained through sponsored agreements may not be rented. Check with Sponsored Programs Services (SPS) prior to renting equipment acquired through a sponsored agreement.

  • For services, include the names of the positions involved and their rates of pay.
  • If a part of the request is covered by an approved service-center rate, describe those services or rentals and include the rates.

The responsible administrator approves the memorandum before it is sent to REBO.

To request rental of facilities, the department completes the Facilities Use Request Questionnaire available from the REBO website.

The Agreement

REBO performs the following steps:

  • Obtains a rate from the Controller.
  • Coordinates approval of space rentals with the Facilities Use Committee, as needed. (WAC 504-35-022)
  • Prepares the agreement and coordinates the approval.
  • Distributes the contract.
  • Files the original agreement with the Controller.
Damage to University Premises or Equipment

Rental agreements are to include adequate protection for WSU in the event of loss of or damage to University facilities or equipment while in the renter’s custody or control. The appropriate scope of such protection will vary depending on the following:

  • Nature of the facility or equipment rented
  • Nature of the intended use
  • Duration of the rental agreement

Contact Risk Management Services to determine what required protection measures are to be included in the rental agreement; telephone 509-335-6893.

Collecting the Rent

General Accounting prepares invoices for the charges and the Bursar’s Office sends statements for the invoiced charges.

Disposition of Revenue

Controller’s Office personnel determine the disposition of revenue.

Revenue may be handled in the following ways:

  • Deposited in a general revenue account. This is applicable to most space/facility rentals.
  • Treated as a recovery of expenditure to a departmental account. This is applicable to certain equipment rentals.
  • Treated as an interagency reimbursement. This is applicable to rentals to other state agencies.

Accounting for Equipment

Notify Property Inventory whenever an equipment item is temporarily physically relocated off campus. See BPPM 20.50.

The department chair of the responsible WSU department ensures that the equipment is returned at the conclusion of the rental period. Notify Property Inventory upon return of the item.

Revisions:  January 2021 (Rev. 560); July 1990 (Rev. 81).